That’s My Music! is BCMG’s primary school creative music-making programme of workshops for children and CPD for teachers.
Composing Workshops for Children
Day long composing workshops with one class based on a topic of your choice delivered by a composer/workshop leader and BCMG musician. In the workshop the children will:
- Use a range of soundmakers to compose including BCMG’s range of tuned and untuned percussion
- Be inspired by a composer and BCMG musician to create their own music
- Create and develop their own musical ideas
- Structure their musical ideas into longer compositions
- Find ways to communicate their musical ideas verbally and through traditional and non-traditional notation (including graphic scores)
- Reflect on their music and what they have learnt
For an extra cost Arts Award Discover can also be offered and achieved using the day’s activity with an additional ½ day session. We are also very happy to support schools developing funding applications to enable us to work with them on a longer term basis or on special projects. BCMG is also fundraising to develop action research projects exploring children’s composing – if this is something that interests you please get in touch.
CPD for Teachers
In 2017/18 there will three twilight CPD workshops for teachers (dates tbc) exploring how to support children’s creative music making.
- How can we develop composing activities for topics/themes?
- What do we know about children as composers and how they progress as composers?
- How can we develop composing activities from stories, pictures and other music?
Throughout all of these sessions we will also consider how to manage and organise the composing process with the class, differentiation, learning about different instruments, effective questioning and feedback, and think how children can communicate their musical ideas through traditional and non-traditional notations such as graphic scores. Supporting paper and online resources will be provided where possible.
BCMG is an active Artsmark supporter. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this further.
For more information about any of the above please email Naomi Wellings, Learning Co-ordinator