MiniFest was a new BCMG project for 2015-16, in which year 3 from The Oaks Primary School in Druids Heath, and Jervoise School in Weoley Castle worked with artists, composers and musicians through a series of workshops to create a day long mini-festival in their school on a theme of their choosing. The project was funded by Birmingham City Council’s Next Generation Fund and trusts.
The workshops involved the children:
- Creating music for themselves and their class to perform
- Creating music which allows other children not directly involved in the project to participate
- Creating music for a BCMG musician to perform
- Choosing music for a BCMG musician to perform from a selection of contemporary works
- Creating visual art that connects to the music created in some way.
The children lead, planned and delivered the festival with the support of the artists and other BCMG staff. Families and members of the public were invited to attend the festivals as audience and all participants gained an Arts Award Discover as part of the project.
If you would like more information about this project, please contact Naomi Wellings, Learning Co-ordinator by email or call 0121 6162616.