Sound Imaginations is BCMG’s programme of composing workshops in secondary schools.
BCMG has been delivering composing projects in secondary schools for over 15 years and we specialise in supporting the open creative composing briefs rather than pastiche and instrumental rather than vocal or music technology.
BCMG are offering whole day composing workshops either in school or, when possible, at the CBSO Centre. Workshops can either focus on the curriculum or can be enrichment activities. Example workshops include:
- Composing for a solo piece for a BCMG musician (see BCMG Sequenza project)
- Using note rows and/or rhythm patterns as a starting point for composing
- Using images, film or stories as a starting point for composing
- Using a piece of repertoire as the inspiration for composing new work (this can be linked to a BCMG concert visit)
- Creative ensemble – composing and improvising in a group context
Ideally we like to meet and plan with teachers before the workshop to make sure we tailor our projects to the needs of your pupils and your own professional development.
We are also very happy to support schools developing funding applications to enable us to work with them on a longer term basis or on special projects. BCMG also does an enormous amount of its own fundraising to develop action research type projects – if this is something that interests you please get in touch.
Listen Imagine Compose MA in Teaching and Learning
We also offer a MA in Teaching and Learning based on research from the Listen Imagine Compose action research project in partnership with Sound and Music and Birmingham City University. See here for more details.
BCMG is an active Artsmark supporter. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this further.
For more information about any of the above please email Naomi Wellings, Learning Co-ordinator