Family Arts Standards
BCMG helped develop and has signed up to the Family Arts Standards. We welcome families and to help you enjoy your experience we are committed to ensuring we meet these Standards. As we continue to improve our service for families your views are very important to us – so please let us know if you have a good experience with us or tell us what you’d like us to improve.
An organisation that displays the Family Arts Standards Badge will:
1. Offer programming and activities for a range of ages.
2. Take practical steps to make performances /activities accessible to as wide an age range as possible: so appropriate events can be enjoyed and appreciated by all members of the family group taking part.
3. Provide clear guidance on age appropriateness and sensitive issues so families can decide if an activity is suitable for them.
4. Consider the needs of families and take into account transport issues when planning dates of activities, start and finish times, length of performance/activity, length of intervals or breaks.
5. Take into account the diversity of families when considering pricing and ‘family offers’.
6. Pro-actively consult with families and encourage regular feedback; ensuring families know their views have been considered. Highlight changes that have been made and any barriers to achieving
7. Have a clear public policy for addressing complaints.
8. Reach out to and welcome all families to enjoy the arts and try new experiences.
9. Understand the needs of families of different ages and from different communities and remain flexible and responsive to them.
10. Have helpful staff who can respond to families’ questions and needs.
11. Provide clear & honest information in print and on the internet about the facilities they have available, whilst ensuring they provide:
- Suitable access for wheelchair users and buggies.
- Advice if spaces for wheelchair users and buggies are limited and/or advance booking is required.
- Appropriate seating for children and those with limited mobility.
- Accessible toilet and baby changing facilities that both women and men can access.
- Free drinking water.
- Healthy food and drink options suitable for families (if refreshments are available).
- Comfortable seating for feeding babies, including breastfeeding.
- Clear signage and easily identifiable staff/personnel.
- Clear travel information.
In exceptional circumstances, standards holders may not be able to provide all of the facilities included in this list. If this occurs it will be clearly advertised so families are aware of limitations when planning their visit.
For more information about the Family Arts Standards, please visit www.familyartsstandards.com